Northern Illinois College and its Center for Southeast Asian Research (CSEAS) have a prolonged background of doing work with universities throughout Southeast Asia. This contains Cambodia, which commenced sending college students to NIU just after the country’s reopening to the West pursuing the United Nations intervention in 1993.
Assisting solidify this link is the most latest of five collaborations in between NIU and Cambodian establishments: the 2017 memorandum of comprehending with the American University of Phnom Penh (AAUP). Founded in 2013, AAUP is reasonably new on the scene, but in a quick time it has come to be a premier better education and learning institution in Cambodia, offering well-rounded planning for postgraduate faculty in Western international locations. The NIU collaboration has resulted in a continual stream of AUPP alumni coming to DeKalb as graduate learners, the up coming era of Cambodians who started coming to NIU in the late 2000s.
Limeng Ong (AUPP class of 2017) and Rithiya Serey (AUPP course of 2018) are now pursuing their doctoral degrees in political science, Limeng in comparative politics and Rithiya in global relations. Two far more AAUP alumni — Socheata Meas and Sopheachanboramey Tuon — will be part of the Political Science section in slide 2021.
The high-quality of AUPP graduates has been remarkable, according to faculty associates who have worked with them. “Limeng Ong and Rithiya Serey are amid the greatest Ph.D. pupils in the political science Ph.D. program at Northern Illinois University,” said CSEAS associate and former division chair Scot Schraufnagel, noting that the two regularly attend division-sponsored extracurricular functions. Limeng and Rithiya have by now experienced classroom knowledge training American pupils.
The talent established that Limeng and Rithiya obtained at AUPP, mentioned Assistant Professor Aarie Glas, “equipped them with the foundational knowledge and studying skills needed to navigate and prosper in better instruction in the United States. Both equally students have created considerate, essential, and demanding investigation applications building on these foundations.”
This earlier spring, Limeng was selected by the NIU Graduate University as the department’s 2021 Remarkable Graduate College student Award for Investigate and Scholarly Activity. “It is obvious that Limeng’s education and learning at [AAUP] prepared him very well with language, mathematical, and vital imagining capabilities that have enabled him to be so effective in graduate faculty,” said Assistant Professor Ches Thurber.
“In addition to his potent scholarship,” Professor Kheang Un stated in his nomination letter for Limeng, “Limeng is also a great citizen of the political science department’s graduate student physique. I have listened to from a amount of our graduate college students go over Limeng’s willingness to assist them in their quantitative classes.”
Due to the fact coming to NIU, Limeng and Rithiya have also presented their analysis at professional conferences. “I have complete confidence they will go on to have productive and impactful professions once they go away NIU,” reported Professor Colin Kuehl.
Affiliate History Professor Eric Jones, acting CSEAS director, is assured that Rithiya and Limeng will sign up for the ranks of successful NIU alumni from Southeast Asia, like their fellow Cambodians and other NIU alumni who have played popular purpose in authorities, civil society, multilateral institutions, and institutions across the area.
Some of noteworthy NIU/Heart for Southeast Asian Studies graduates contain:
- Anies Basweden (Ph.D. political science, 2004), named by International Coverage journal a person of the world’s Prime 100 Community People in 2008, was elected Governor of Jakarta in 2017.
- Panitan Wattanayagorn (Ph.D. political science, 1993), professor of political science at Thammasat University, is Deputy Secretary-Normal to the Key Minister, Chairman of the Key Minister’s Protection Advisory Committee, and an adviser to the National Safety Council and a member of Thailand’s Nationwide Cyber Stability Committee).
- So Sokbunthoeun (Ph.D. political science, 2009) is Senior Community Sector Expert, Governance International Follow, at the World Lender.
- Nico Harjanto (Ph.D. political science, 2010) is Particular Staff of the Minister of State Secretariat, Business of the President of Indonesia.
- Datuk Ahmad Ruzman Ruzman Ahmad Razali (M.B.A, College or university of Enterprise, 1986) is CEO, Tabung Haji’s Travel Company, Malaysia.